Activity 14: Starting a Climate Service-Learning Project
Students often want to do something to help solve an important problem. When their energy is channeled into meaningful, relevant community action projects, a variety of benefits can be seen, from youth development and academic achievement to environmental improvements. This activity provides guidance for students to plan an environmental action project related to forests and climate change solutions in their community.
- Environmental Service-Learning – Comprehensive list of service learning and environmental service learning resources.
- Environmental Service Learning Treepeople Website – Information about seven key elements for quality service learning with project examples.
- Give Forests a Hand – A youth action guide and leader guide to help students identify potential projects, select an idea that matches their abilities, create a plan, conduct the project, and celebrate results.
- GreenWorks! – Information on the service-learning, community action program of Project Learning Tree that provides grant opportunities annually.
- National Service-Learning Clearinghouse – Comprehensive service-learning resource answers general questions about service learning and provides success stories.
- Young Voices for the Planet: The Movies – Series of short films of success stories of young people tackling climate change issues in their communities.